[squid-users] Linking with *SSL

Spil Oss spil.oss at gmail.com
Thu May 12 13:33:30 UTC 2016

> Hi!
> When we worked on squid port on FreeBSD one of the FreeBSD user
> (Bernard Spil) noticed:
>
> When working on this, I ran into another issue. Perhaps maintainer can
> fix that with upstream. I've now added LIBOPENSSL_LIBS="-lcrypto
> -lssl" because of configure failing in configure.ac line 1348.
>
> > AC_CHECK_LIB(ssl,[SSL_library_init],[LIBOPENSSL_LIBS="-lssl $LIBOPENSSL_LIBS"],[AC_MSG_ERROR([library 'ssl' is required for OpenSSL])
>
> You cannot link against libssl when not linking libcrypto as well
> leading to an error with LibreSSL. This check should add -lcrypto in
> addition to -lssl to pass.
>
> Is this something someone could take a look at?

Hi All,

Sorry for replying out-of-thread.

What happens is that the check for SSL_library_init fails as -lcrypto
is missing.

Output from configure

> checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto... yes
> checking for SSL_library_init in -lssl... no
> configure: error: library 'ssl' is required for OpenSSL
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.

What I usually see in autoconf scripts is that temp CFLAGS etc are set
before the test for SSL libs and reversed after the test.

Adding LIBOPENSSL_LIBS="-lcrypto -lssl" to configure works as well

Would be great if you can fix this!

Thanks,

Bernard Spil.
https://wiki.freebsd.org/BernardSpil