[squid-users] Understand GOOGLEVIDEO Url from access.log

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue May 10 12:17:23 UTC 2016

On 10.05.16 09:16, Bjoern Meier wrote:
>Wait. Since when track Squid  data?  Squid only track connections in the
>access.log (that's why it is called access.log).
>So, it is not importent if the data is encrypted, the connection data can't
>be encrypted.

how did you get this?
The data _are_ encrypted. SQUID only sees host:port, nothing more.

>Why shouldn't he see the URL in the access.log?

because the URL is encrypted in the stream.

the "s" in https stands for "secure", which means encrypted and
authenticated (at least with working certs).

That means, the data are encrypted between browser and remote (youtube) server
so the others only see which host and port the connection goes to, but no
details like the URL.

Once again, browser and server know the URL, but nobody between.

The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95