[squid-users] ssl + stunnel and cache peer

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Mar 30 10:44:41 UTC 2016

On 30/03/2016 9:43 a.m., Baselsayeh wrote:
> sorry
> it seems that http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com doesnt
> remove posts

This is an email mailing list. Nabble is just an archive display. There
is no "oops I should not have mailed the world" undo feature in email.

> Yuri Voinov wrote
> I said exactly: "Cache peer cannot use re-crypting right now".
>
> No matter what do you have behind cache_peer.

Correction:
  Squid does not (yet) support re-"CONNECT" messaging to cache_peer.

It certainly does support TLS connections to upstream peers. When
bumping it *requires* that the peer supports TLS connections. Which is
part of the problem lots of people have sending bumped data onwards to
non-TLS peers.

I think your main problem is that Squid *is* re-crypting the outbound
connection to stunnel. Then stunnel is double-crypting it since stunnel
purpose is to encrypt plain-text connections.

When the tunnel made by stunnel through the privoxy-like thing reaches
whatever destination Squid instructed it to contact it gets decrypted
_once_ and the data inside is found to be encrypted ... oops.

What you need to avoid this is something like httptunnel. Which does not
double-encrypt the traffic.

PS. the tutorials you see around the Internet about using Squid +
stunnel at present are either to take plain-text client connections and
send them through stunnel to a secured https_port on Squid. Or to take
outbound connections from a non-encrypting Squid and send them securely
to some upstream proxy.