[squid-users] gzip deflate

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sat Mar 19 15:31:48 UTC 2016

On 19.03.16 06:43, joe wrote:
>right the reason i start this
>imagine a country like us  the E1 2meg real bandwidth cost 350$+ so
>compression will help reduce the trafic by almost up to 60% insted of buying
>extra bandwith :(
>and for the clients side ar wifi that also will help reduce the extra trafic
>tks any future testing pleas let me know

the issue is, does the webserver compress the content for you?

If not, someone (e.g. the ISP) has to download uncompressed content and to
compress it for clients, so they don't have to pay for expensive connection,
but that someone (ISP) has to pay for the CPU time spent, and will probably
earn less because people will buy slower bandwidth.

Of course, it's completely up to the ISP if they get payed for compressing
browser content, or are making it s competitive advantage.

However, someone must also pay for squid development, or buy some afaik
already existin data compressing solutions...
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.