[squid-users] SSL Bump matching Subject Alternative Names

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Mar 9 11:25:18 UTC 2016

On 9/03/2016 6:49 a.m., Cohen-Rose, Adam wrote:

> We¹re planning to test how switching to an SMP config affects performance
> ‹ will hopefully post our results when we see them.

Thanks. That would be good to see.

> One remaining puzzle: we see the latency creep upwards overnight when the
> traffic drops ‹ reaching 140ms when it¹s normally 25ms. Is this just an
> artefact of the servers being lightly loaded?

Yes. Squid processing is driven by I/O cycles. Which have a 10m timeout.
When there is no (or low) I/O happening, Squid can do its non-I/O
processing parts of the transactions with up to that 10ms delay on each
cycle.

There is also a much increased packet overhead as each tiny bit of I/O
that needs doing has a whole lot of CPU speed to push it through the
proxy really fast. In some extreme cases that can result in lots of
1-byte packets, but usually it just means smaller packets.