[squid-users] Sudden but sustained high bandwidth usage

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Mar 9 09:12:42 UTC 2016

On 09/03/2016 10:54, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> No,
>
> Aufs :
> cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid 9216 16 256 max-size=100663296

Then the cases are different by nature...
you have 9GB and he uses 90+++ GB, you are using AUFS which is a FS
based and he is using ROCK which is a DB structure.

The issues he present are probably related to some kind of DISK access
or DB structure integrity and probably not directly to squid.conf but it
is also possible that it is related to the cache_dir settings not being
properly tuned.

The main issues that are related to the rock cache_dir DB in general can
be reviewed at:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/RockStore

I have tried couple times to compare ufs\aufs to rock and each has it's
own limitations.
The ufs\aufs is relying mainly on the OS FS structure which has lots of
testing and tuning in it while rock do not have this kind of luxury yet.
I do not have the resources an funding an knowledge to test and compare
them.
However I do know that there are couple basic test cases that can help
to identify if it fit for this specific task without deep inspection.

Eliezer