[squid-users] Sudden but sustained high bandwidth usage

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Mar 7 23:14:49 UTC 2016

On 08/03/2016 00:08, Heiler Bemerguy wrote:
> I don't know how to explain these FD numbers. I'm using EXT4 and I don't
> know what are vmware cache disks.
Since it's a VM, there are couple options for a DATASTORE in vmware ESXi.
A description about the different options is at:
https://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/features/storage

For the VMWARE vsphear\ESXi DATASTORE you can use a
NAS(NFS,...),SAN(ISCSI,..),DAS.
Inside the VM settings\options you can connect a DISK device to a
virtual IDE controller or a SCSI\SAS one.
The VM will see disks as /dev/sda{b,c,d,..} on Debian.
Or the VM has a NIC(E1000\VMNET2\VMNET3) which allows it to access the
SAN\NAS directly using some internal network.

You should know how you configured your system.
For example GlusterFS is NAS.
When using VMWARE Vsphear\ESXi the most commonly used in the SMB to SME
level of uses is a shared NFS for a cluster of VMWARE machines. There
are couple other cases.
For DB servers the most commonly used practice I know of is letting the
DB server mange the storage as a DAS(SATA\SAS\SCSI) with the exception
of ISCSI that is mainly replaces DAS over dedicated links with kinds of
fiber instead of a copper link(s).

If you just attached a new disk on-top of the datastore it's one thing
and if you attached an ISCSI volume directly to the Debian VM or mounted
a NFS share it's a different use case.

Eliezer