[squid-users] Squid 3.5.x install problem

Jester Purtteman jester at optimera.us
Thu Mar 3 12:32:58 UTC 2016

Hello,

Ubuntu uses different paths than Squid's default assumption, so it makes squid installs a little easier to work if you specify the paths for your installation using the configure script.  The only glitch is, if you have already installed, then squid is installed a bit adnormally already (it will work, but it is in different places than you expect), and doing that now may make for a confusing environment for you.  There is a good chance that /etc/squid was installed to /usr/local/etc/squid or some other location that us Debian-flavored people won't find without some hunting.  Going to root and doing something like "find -name squid|grep etc" should lead you in the right direction.

If you want to install using regular Debian directories, the following will do that, but again, doing that now that you have installed already will also install squid in two places which could be pretty confusing, so use at your own risk!

./configure --with-openssl --enable-ssl-crtd  --prefix=/usr   --localstatedir=/var   --libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid    --srcdir=.   --datadir=/usr/share/squid   --sysconfdir=/etc/squid   --with-default-user=proxy   --with-logdir=/var/log

Note that all I did was add "--prefix=/usr   --localstatedir=/var   --libexecdir=/usr/lib/squid    --srcdir=.   --datadir=/usr/share/squid   --sysconfdir=/etc/squid   --with-default-user=proxy   --with-logdir=/var/log" to your configure string.  I don't use the SSL in my environment, and I know very little about it.  I will say that the docs on the Squid FAQ are pretty good starting points, but you will find a file in that /etc/squid directory (where ever it turns out to be) called "squid.conf.documented" and reading that, a lot, is going to be your friend.  Good luck!