[squid-users] url_rewrite_program is ignored by squid

Moataz Elmasry zaza1851983ml at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:12:28 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm trying to use squid with squidguard, but it seems that squid3 is
somehow ignoring the url_rewrite_program completely. While starting squid
I'm getting the message:

"
helperOpenServers: Starting 0/20 'squidGuard' processes
helperOpenServers: No 'squidGuard' processes needed
"

And nothing is being directed to squidguard.
Just to be sure, I tried a simple bash program as well as a php program to
handle the redirection, and I'm receiving a similar message and nothing is
being redirected.
Config files are listed below. All files are owned by the user "proxy"
OS: ubuntu 16.04
squid: 3.5.12-1ubuntu7.2
squidguard: 1.5-5

Here's  squid.conf

"
pinger_enable off
url_rewrite_access allow all
url_rewrite_program /usr/bin/squidGuard -c /etc/squidguard/squidGuard.conf
acl SSL_ports port 443
acl Safe_ports port 80          # http
acl Safe_ports port 443         # https
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535  # unregistered ports
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access allow localhost manager