[squid-users] Websocket content adaptation

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jun 28 13:52:22 UTC 2016

On 29/06/2016 12:43 a.m., Ozgur Batur wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 7:57 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
>> 2. A specific proposal on how to map raw/tunnel data to HTTP messages
>>    that eCAP and ICAP interfaces expect. The biggest difficulty here
>>    may be mapping server-speaks-first protocols.
>>

> I am not sure if it is possible to map websocket data to current adaptation
> services. Actually it may or may not be related but I am curious how Squid
> handles Comet(Ajax/HTTP Server Push) during ICAP processing.

Last time I looked at those they were just using regular HTTP
long-pollinng techniques. Though some may have moved to WebSockets or
HTTP/2 now.

Squid does not have to do anything for those. The clients and server
involved do the mapping of their data into various HTTP requests and
replies. So as far as Squid is concerned they are just regular long
duration GET or POST requests. Which since they are HTTP messages can be
passed to the ICAP service in the normal ways.