[squid-users] Websocket content adaptation

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Jun 28 02:20:04 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-28 04:23, Ozgur Batur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ICAP handles plain HTTP very well but it is not possible to
> filter/change or even log content of websocket communication after
> websocket upgrade over HTTP as far as I know. Is there any plan or
> interest in developing some capability for Squid to control websocket
> communication content?

Not for adaptation. I plan to look into implementing WebSocket over
HTTP/2 support.

But ICAP is not designed for non-HTTP protocols, and WebSockets is
designed to transfer essentially random data with protection against
modification. So there is not likely to be any adaptation possibility.

> There is no defined request/response protocol since websocket is
> basically a socket but regexp matching in incoming and outgoing
> content(json, xml,raw) with URL and client metadata info may have some
> application like data leak prevention or achieving in corporate
> environment.

http_access type controls for WebSocket connection. Yes I hope those can
be added once Squid is adjusted to understand how WebSockets frames
operate. Right now there is only http_access for the HTTP message that
WS uses to get through HTTP-only proxies.