[squid-users] Forward loop when intercepting mode to proxy traffic to local VM

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Jun 23 18:11:23 UTC 2016

On 23/06/2016 4:54 a.m., jblank wrote:
> To be honest, I am not 100% clear on Squid's various modes. If reverse
> proxy mode is capable of doing the decrypt/re-encrypt stuff, I'm fine
> with using it. Any pointers to HOWTOs or FAQs that might help?

<http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq> has a section on the main traffic
handling modes.

The big distinction between intercept and accel modes is that intercept
is for at ISP type situations and accel is for CDN type situations.

One Squid can do both jobs at once. Just through different http(s)_port
directives.

NAT can introduce a lot of problems, particularly with HTTPS
connections. So if your Squid is being a frontend (aka CDN) for this VM
host its probably better to do that as accel mode rather than intercept.