[squid-users] Squid in Air Planes WiFi system, how should it be used?

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Thu Jun 23 13:22:02 UTC 2016

Since Internet is starting to flow into the "Flying ships" industry I
started to wonder what are the limits?
In the air the network connections are very low quality despite to the fact
that they can transfer lots of data.
So the OS will probably handle all the lower network issues and will leave
to the proxy software all the fun stuff.
The basic services on a Flying WiFi network would be:
-	FW + NAT
-	DNS proxy + local
-	DHCP
-	Authorization and Authentication services(Radius, token based\OTP),
I don't expect any form of AD or LDAP based.
-	Internet Service Payments portal (maybe can be used as an
alternative or extension to pre-paid tickets)
-	VOD
-	Digital Book Shelf
-	VOIP services
-	And probably couple other services which many require

Then I asked myself: What squid can offer for this system? Where squid can
be plugged inside this list of services?
>From where is see it, the proxy can take over the application stack from the
client to the server.
Since the OS will be designed to handle the network level issue(both fabric
and protocol) it will simplify for the clients the need to overcome network
level issues.
The clients will need to just be clients using  WiFi(leaving aside the
700KMPH radio\physics layer).
The flight will be much nicer from the technology perspective of it.
I do however think that one of the main issues with so many technological
"comforts" would be the human to human in-flight relationship.

Two examples to special scenarios I know from the Anime world are:
-	Accel World
-	Ghost In The Shell
Which gives an image of a world which humans are bypassing the real world
for the favor of a Virtual world.
What do you think?

Eliezer

Links: