[squid-users] cache_peer directive with SNI

Kristopher Lalletti kristopher at lalletti.ca
Thu Jun 23 12:31:50 UTC 2016

Tried both and individually; nothing doing.

I keep getting from Squid a TCP_MISS/503 to which the client page states:

(54) Connection reset by peer (TLS code: SQUID_ERR_SSL_HANDSHAKE)
Handshake with SSL server failed: [No Error]

I’m currently using:
Squid Cache version 3.5.19

I just tried substituting the service-name (service.foo.com) in my /etc/hosts, and define cache_peer to connect to service.foo.com, and even that doesn’t work.  It appears that the cache_peer directive, when SSL is enabled does not transmit SNI.

I did however, manage to get it working to some degree using ssl_bump (http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SslPeekAndSplice) using peek, however, I’m also doing URI filtering with squid, and this defeats the purpose to URI filtering as it only checks the requested SNI header from the end-user, and transposes the connection to the cache_peer.

So I’m thinking that the absence of SNI on cache_peer is a ‘bug’ or a ‘missing feature’, which I’m guessing my next viable option is to see if I can bridge the SNI gap with something like STUNNEL.

Anyone else have any thoughts?