[squid-users] Squid Peek/Splice some issues

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Tue Jun 21 07:02:22 UTC 2016

Hey Ahmad,

Since these apps are having issues it means that squid or them are broken or … both.

The basic issue is that from one side you want to Intercept while you don't want to break the passing traffic.

Squid task is to work with every piece of the OS and the traffic including parsing and "understanding" the passing traffic.

The issue is that currently(3.5) squid doesn't have any way to not break HTTPS once it was intercepted and was unwrapped.

The more deep issue is that many applications are using HTTP+HTTPS in a way that needs couple twists and causes security complications.

It would be kind of "simple" to resolve the issue by bypassing squid SSL unwrapping.

If you don't care about security and you care more about caching what is possible and not caching "everything" this is the right solution.

It is possible to use a technique which will collect information about the destination HOST to be a valid HTTPS service before splicing but..

It has it's own overheads but if you care less about caching and more about the service then it's the right solution.

Just to illustrate, an ACL and filtering proxy will be pretty "simple" compared to a one with caching overheads since all the resources would be dedicated to the actual decision part of the service rather then the disks IO and cached objects DB lookups.

>From what I remember squid 4 is supposed to have a basic option that will differentiate between STANDARD https to other protocols.

I have not tested it yet but I am in still processing 4 ideas in general.

Eliezer

----

 <http://ngtech.co.il/lmgtfy/> Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator