[squid-users] dead gateway, not dead peer..

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Jun 20 20:04:48 UTC 2016

On Monday 20 June 2016 at 21:53:04, B. Cook wrote:

> Looking for a second opinion..
>
> I think this is beyond the scope of squid, but I figured I would ask
> anyway..

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't - I don't think you've given anything like enough
information for us to know.

> VZW FiOS link in one building (primary) and VZW FIOS link in a second
> building (secondary).

It's probably not important to the question (although that's a guess on my
part), but what's a "VZW FIOS" link?

Also, what do you mean in this context by primary and secondary?

> the gateway for the primary link is sometimes unavailable.. squid is fine
> on both ends..

Er, where is squid?  What is your network layout?

> 0.30 is the host 'oasis', 32.99 'ogden' and 12.194 'sorrento'.

What do those numbers mean?

> Oasis is where everyone connects to and ogen (secondary) sorrento (primary)
> are the non-caching peers.

So, you have three squid servers?

> So sorrento isn't going down, sorrento's gateway is..

I *think* I understand this bit...

> Again I also have DNS to worry about..

'Again'?  And, why do you have to worry about DNS?

> so I'm thinking this is an issue lower than squid.. squid being (osi 4 at
> least), I'm looking to solve an osi 3 issue..

Maybe...

> Right?

Please answer the following questions:

1. How many squid servers do you have (in this setup)?

2. What are their IP addresses?

3. How are they arranged (in some sort of hierarchy or peer arrangement)?

4. Why do you have more than one squid server - what are you trying to achieve
by this?

5. What problem do you encounter that you're asking for help with?

6. Can you give us any other additional information which might help us to
understand what you're dealing with and what's going on?

> Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Thanks for taking the time to give us some more information :)

Antony.

--
I think broken pencils are pointless.

                                                   Please reply to the list;