[squid-users] SQUID and accessing https urls failing

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jun 17 02:42:15 UTC 2016

On 17/06/2016 1:47 p.m., Blaxton wrote:
> Hi
> Squid is running with default and we can access HTTP URLsbut accessing to HTTPS URLs timing out and nothing is being logged in log file.
> I was assuming connecting to HTTPS URLs should work the same as HTTP connections out of the box.

They do not. The 'S' makes them different. Very different.

Squid currently has to be built with OpenSSL support in order to perform
the TLS protocol actions needed by https:// URLs and also HTTPS
protocol. Since OpenSSL software license is not compatible with GPL
license used by Squid some popular vendors are not providing HTTPS
enabled binaries on legal grounds (most notably Debian, Ubuntu and their
derivatives).

Any build of Squid though is capable of relaying HTTP CONNECT tunnels
containing HTTPS. But that requires the client software to do the tunnel
wrapping, and be using the proxy explicitly.