[squid-users] HTTPS issues with squidguard after upgrading from squid 2.7 to 3.5

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Fri Jun 17 01:46:50 UTC 2016

On 06/16/2016 10:21 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> I have a non-public question but if you can share it will be nice.
> What is the users size\capacity of the system?
> I am asking since I have seen that many squidGuard based systems have acted slower then with ICAP.
> By slower I mean that the initial squidGuard lookup response caused slower page display by ms to couple secs.
> I have not researched the exact reasons since I will not try to fix what is already fine for many.

squidGuard is slow since each process opens the database and
has a private cache of 15% of the database.
So if a squidGuard process does a URL lookup it does a lookup in the
database cache and may read from disk (or the OS file system cache).

ufdbGuard does it differently: the url_rewriter process is a lightweight
process that forwards a URL lookup to a multithreaded daemon that holds
a single copy of the URL database in memory.  The database format is
also optimised for in-memory lookups.
ufdbGuard does 50,000 URL lookups/second on an
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v2 with 4 cores/8 threads.

Marcus