[squid-users] Regex optimization

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Thu Jun 16 19:20:45 UTC 2016

Have you considered https://www.urlfilterdb.com/products/ufdbguard.html ?

> If I put one per line in a file and set the filename for an url_regex acl
> it works. But when the traffic goes up the cpu load goes 100% (even using
> workers) and the proxy turns unusable.

Er, I'm not surprised.

> I tested and saw my squid can't parse regexes with more than 8192
> characters.
> I managed to combine the 8000 uris in 34 regexes using a ruby gem, and the
> cpu load stays almost at the same level it is without any acl (same
> traffic).

That must be *way* past anything to be described as "maintainable".

> the regex is:

Er, thanks, that confirms my suspicions above :)

Antony.

--
Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.