[squid-users] Peek'n Splice (ssl_bump) and authentication Somewhat OT: Content Filter with https

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Thu Jun 9 00:11:34 UTC 2016

Hey Sergio,

It depends on couple aspects of the setup.

The basic rule is that in the case you require authentication you are required to use a configured proxy and without Interception.

For SSL BUMP to work you need the clients to either access the proxy directly or to Intercept their connections.(Interception is not a must..)

If your setup doesn't have terminal servers for multiple clients then you can use an IP to USER authentication using a variety of options such as:

-          Web Authentication portal

-          DHCP level Authentication

-          Radius based Authentication

-          Couple others..

(all the above are based on IP level restrictions)

HTTPS and HTTP filtering are a bit different but if you have a basic "catch all" rule it would be much simpler to move on from there with the logic and implementation.

Specifically for HTTPS connections if you have a list of sites that you don't need to bump and you will be using a directly configured proxy(non intercept) then you would be able to minimize the noise that comes with fake certificates generation.

My suggestion in general is to first declare squid as a "first" trial and testing stage for a solution.

For some places Squid's breaking web-sockets are an overhead that cannot be tolerated while in other places it is acceptable as a security breach blocker.

If the place is not huge(200+ users) then I would start with a simple forward proxy with SSL BUMP but in a splice first(since peek and splice might not be needed due to the clients stating their target Domain Name) and later add the bump step.

It will help you to try and see how the proxy takes the load(with filtering but without caching).
Then move on to the next step of authentication, maybe Kerberos or if "transparent" authentication is required but if not then a simple LDAP based one.

If SquidGuard functionality is good for you then use it.

If not then ufdbguard or any other solution that is in your mind.

I tend to not publish my work too much here but if you want to take a peek and see how it works for you then:
http://new.ngtech.co.il/squidblocker_en.html

I also think that others work such as:

-          http://www.quintolabs.com/  Diladele

-          https://www.clearos.com/

-          https://www.censornet.com/

is worth mentioning due to their high quality.( I have tested some of them myself)

About ufdbguard, it's not doing authentication but only url filtering as far as I know.

Squid's way of handling authentication is one and it's not on the same "channel" as filtering but an ICAP service can do that too.

Hope It Helps,

Eliezer

----

 <http://ngtech.co.il/lmgtfy/> Eliezer Croitoru