[squid-users] Response timeout for upstream HTTP servers

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jun 8 06:13:53 UTC 2016

On 8/06/2016 5:08 a.m., Adam Vollrath wrote:
> Good morning! I'm having trouble with upstream HTTP servers not
> responding for more than 30 seconds.  I'd like to just return an empty
> response to the downstream client. Nothing is better than waiting.
>
> I'm looking for a `squid3` configuration directive to timeout between an
> HTTP request and response.  Here's the directive for `nginx`:
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_read_timeout
>
> 	"Defines a timeout for reading a response from the proxied server. The
> timeout is set only between two successive read operations, not for the
> transmission of the whole response. If the proxied server does not
> transmit anything within this time, the connection is closed."
>
> Does `squid3` have a way to implement this?  Is this what the
> `read_timeout` directive does if my upstream systems are configured as
> `cache_peer`?

I think you misunderstand what "proxy" means. Nginx primary design focus
as a web server like Apache. So proxied traffic is a special activity
for it.

Squid is a proxy. So by definition everything going through Squid is
proxied.

<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/read_timeout/> controls the
timeout for individual read(2) operations on a connection which is active.

<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/write_timeout/> controls the
timeout for individual write(2) operations on a connection which is active.

<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/server_idle_pconn_timeout/>
controls the timeout for connections in idle state between requests.

Other timeouts control specific actions like DNS, route selection,
connect(2), or client connection activities.

HTH