[squid-users] Vary object loop returns

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jun 6 22:57:47 UTC 2016

On 7/06/2016 5:55 a.m., Yuri Voinov wrote:

> So.
>
> Squid DOES NOT and DON'T BE support gzip. The only way to do it - use
> ecap + desupported ecap gzip adapter. Let's accept this. We can support
> gzip. With restrictions. Ok.
>
> any other compression - false. No. No way. Get out. and so on.
>
>  identity - this is uncompressed type.
>
> That's all, folks.
>
> Finally. As Joe does, we can remain only gzip and identity in
> Accept-Encoding and truncate all remaining.

Locking the entire Internet to using your personal choice of gzip
compression or none.

gzip is the slowest and more resource hungry type of compression there
is. deflate is actually faster for clients and just as widely supported.

> Without any problem. Moreover, this type of can be push to all brunches
> of squid without any problem, because of this dramatically increases
> byte HIT.

Responding with a single object to all requests makes your HIT ratio
100% guaranteed. The clients wont like you though if all they ever see
is the same cat picture.

It sounds ridiculous when put that way, but that is what these patches
are doing for a unknown number of those "gained" HITs. See my previous
post about how none of these patches are changing the request the server
gets.

You are once again sweeping asside the critical requirement of content
integrity to achieve high HIT ratio. Which is not something that I can
accept into Squid as a default action.