[squid-users] HTTPS and Headers

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Jul 21 16:33:15 UTC 2016

On 07/21/2016 12:41 AM, FredB wrote:

> I wonder what headers can be see by squid with a SSL website ? Without SSLBump of course

You are asking the wrong question if your goal is to "mark in logs a
specific information from a user for all proxies (proxy chaining)".

> when I try to put some new headers it works only with an HTTP website
>
> I can't do that ? What are the limitations ?

If you are intercepting SSL traffic, then you can do nothing today and
will be able to do nothing forever [unless you bump it].

If you are using an explicit forward proxy, then you can do nothing
[reliably] today, but it is possible to teach Squid to obey various
header-adding/mangling directives when sending CONNECT requests to cache
peers. After those enhancements, you would be able to pass information
from one proxy to another as an extension CONNECT header field(s). That
information will be passed in clear text though.

HTH,