[squid-users] how to change public IP to access website on proxy squid?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jul 20 15:24:53 UTC 2016

On 21/07/2016 3:04 a.m., Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> First take a look at the documents about:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/forwarded_for/
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/via/
>
> Depends on your setup you would be able to "MASK" your IP.
> But it is better done using some kind of VPN service rather then a proxy.

Maybe. What is best to do depends on the reason/thing you want kept
secret and won't tell us. So any response we provide to that
half-question would probably be wrong.

> Try to change\add the above squid settings ie:
> via off

Note that Via header is a required header for HTTP. Only disable if you
need to. It reveals the fact of a proxy being used but no details about
your machine.

And it does not carry your IP address, so for the purpose stated it is
not relevant.

> forwarded_for delete

"forwarded_for transparent" is better.

There are many 'whatismyip' type services, they all do things
differently and some use tricks to identify you that no proxy or other
service can prevent.
 The IP address those sites display is not always the IP seen by
services you connect to.

For privacy protection. Simply using a proxy in normal ways with that
"forwarded_for transparent" setting "hides" your client machine a large
amount. But does not prevent the machine itself shouting its details to
the world in many other ways.