[squid-users] Squid determine peer content to routers

Omid Kosari omidkosari at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 13:51:45 UTC 2016

According to my previous emails i have created this topic to summerize my
need .

Squid has peer config as follow

acl wu dstdom_regex \.download\.windowsupdate\.com$
\.download\.microsoft\.com$
acl wu-rejects dstdom_regex stats
acl GET method GET
cache_peer 1.1.1.14 parent 8080 0 proxy-only no-tproxy no-digest no-query
no-netdb-exchange name=ms1
cache_peer_access ms1 allow GET wu !wu-rejects
cache_peer_access ms1 deny all
never_direct allow GET wu !wu-rejects
never_direct deny all

The peer software is a web service from
http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/Windows-Updates-a-Caching-Stub-zone-A-windows-updates-store-td4678454.html

So far so good . the problem begins here .

Currently we have exclude the cache hits (based on TOS value) from our
customers reserved bandwidth . For example you have 150Mbps internet link
from our company and we have limitation for you on our QOS routers . But we
have excluded cache hits from your 150M and you may have more than that if
you are downloading from our cache hits .

The peer software is a web service and is not aware of hit/miss or TOS/DSCP
. So i should to a trick with help of squid .

Squid (or even iptables, linux , etc ) which is aware of which contents goes
to/comes from the peer should do a trick to mark those content with DSCP and
send them to routers .
Router see that dscp and exclude it from users limitation .

Thanks