[squid-users] Windows Updates a Caching Stub zone, A windows updates store.

Omid Kosari omidkosari at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 10:58:37 UTC 2016

Eliezer Croitoru-2 wrote
> Hey Omid,
>
> Indeed my preference is that if you can ask ask and I will try to give you
> couple more details on the service and the subject.

Hey Eliezer,

1.I have refresh patterns from days before your code . Currently i prefer
not to store windows updates in squid internal storage because of
deduplication . Now what should i do ? delete this refresh pattern ? or even
create a pattern not to cache windows updates ?

refresh_pattern -i
(microsoft|windowsupdate)\.com/.*?\.(cab|exe|dll|ms[iuf]|asf|wm[va]|dat|zip|iso|psf)$
10080 100% 172800 ignore-no-store ignore-reload ignore-private
ignore-must-revalidate override-expire override-lastmod

2.Is the position of your squid config important to prevent logical
conflicts? for example should it be before above refresh patterns to prevent
deduplication ?

acl wu dstdom_regex \.download\.windowsupdate\.com$
acl wu-rejects dstdom_regex stats
acl GET method GET
cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 8080 0 proxy-only no-tproxy no-digest no-query
no-netdb-exchange name=ms1
cache_peer_access ms1 allow GET wu !wu-rejects
cache_peer_access ms1 deny all
never_direct allow GET wu !wu-rejects
never_direct deny all

3.Is it good idea to change your squid config as bellow to have more hits?
Or maybe it is big mistake !

acl msip dst 13.107.4.50
acl wu dstdom_regex \.download\.windowsupdate\.com$
\.download\.microsoft\.com$
acl wu-rejects dstdom_regex stats
acl GET method GET
cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 8080 0 proxy-only no-tproxy no-digest no-query
no-netdb-exchange name=ms1
cache_peer_access ms1 allow GET wu !wu-rejects
cache_peer_access ms1 allow GET msip !wu-rejects
cache_peer_access ms1 deny all
never_direct allow GET wu !wu-rejects
never_direct allow GET msip !wu-rejects
never_direct deny all

4.Current storage capacity is 500G andmore than 50% of it becomes full and
growing fast . Is there any mechanism for garbage collection in your code ?
If not is it good idea to remove files based on last access time (ls -ltu
/cache1/body/v1/) ? should i also delete old files from header and request
folders ?