[squid-users] This is first time I use squid, i don't know how to edit file squid.conf for start using squid

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Jul 18 10:16:33 UTC 2016

On Monday 18 July 2016 at 11:04:16, james82 wrote:

> I am beginner. I'm not know so much about squid proxy . this is first time
> i use it.

Please tell us what you are trying to use it for - what do you want to get
squid to do for you?

> I follow step by step ( some tutorial blog )

Please tell us which tutorial you are following.  Some are good, some are not
so good.  Some are good for beginners, some are for more experienced users.

> I have to edit file squid.conf for use it. I don't know how to edit it.

Do you mean that you do not know how to edit a configuration file, or do you
mean that you do not know what changes you need to make to this file?

If you do not know how to use an editor, follow one of the links provided in
Yuri's recent answer to you.

If you do know how to use an editor, but you do not know what changes you need
to make to the file, then either:

 - read some of the excellent documentation from (for example)
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples

 - tell us here what you want Squid to do, and we can help you make it do it.

But, the simple fact is that if you don't tell us what you're trying to
achieve, how can we tell you how to do that?

> please somebody tell me step step how to do it? i ask here because i need
> complete full answer.

In that case we need a complete full question - you tell us what you are
trying to get Squid to do f royu, and tell us what your network setup is, and
then we might be able to help you.  So far you have ignored all questions
asking you to tell us what you're trying to do.  Do you expect us to guess?

> my squid.conf file at https://ghostbin.com/paste/xsj2h.

As Amos has pointed out to you previously, this is *not* the standard
squid.conf configuration file.  It is (as it says at the top) "the documentation
for the Squid configuration file".

I do not believe that this file got installed as /etc/squid/squid.conf by
installing the squid package under Ubunut (which I believe you are using).

Regards,

Antony.

--
Anyone that's normal doesn't really achieve much.

 - Mark Blair, Australian rocket engineer

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.