[squid-users] dns children setting breaks my squid.conf

B. Henry burt1iband at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 06:53:30 UTC 2016

The
> > #dns_nameser 208.67.222.2224.2.2.4

was a typo that was corrected in my working squid.conf,
> #dns_nameservers 208.67.222.222 4.2.2.4
If I understood the documentation on this there is no punctuation needed, and nicely squid avoids  that kind of syntax confusion.
I found out a couple things I wanted were indeed not compiled in to standard builds, but missed that the dns plug-in was an non-standard extra.
Thanks for clearing this up for me.
And yes, I am indeed using 3.1.19 from default Ubuntu precise repos.
BTW, I now realize that I was copying from  a rather messed up conf file I'd saved. The keyboard was diing. As for nameser vs nameservers at very high
words perminute rates syntyh speech makes differences like that easy to miss, i.e. I use a screen readr to access computers as I can't see the screen.
Going to delete the file I copied those lines from right now/so sorry for wasting your time helping me with problems I don't even have...grin/got enough
real ones.

> Best Practice is to setup a local DNS recursive resolver, so all your
> systems can use it. That resolver can use the Google, Open DNS resolvers
> if you want. This ensures that regardless of where the results came from
> they are consistent across your network. That consistency becomes a
> critical need if you do interception with Squid.

Actually for me squid is only being used for when I need to appear from somewhere I am not when traveling, and to be safer when having to use public or
otherwise less than ideal networks, but what you say certainly makes sense, and it's always best to be prepared for other posible use sinarios.
Regards,

--
     B.H.
   Registerd Linux User 521886