[squid-users] Windows Updates a Caching Stub zone, A windows updates store.

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Thu Jul 14 15:46:34 UTC 2016

Hey Omid,

The key concept is that it is possible but not always worth the effort..
I have tested it to work for Windows 10 and for couple other platforms but I didn't verified how it will react to every version of Windows 7.
I have tested how things works with WSUSOFFLINE and you will need to change the regex dstdomain into:
acl wu dstdom_regex download\.windowsupdate\.com$ download\.microsoft\.com$

Now you need to have my latest updated version in order to avoid caching of MS AV updates which are critical and should never be cached for more then 1 hour.

You can try to "seed" the cache using a client which will run WSUSOFFLINE but to my understanding it's not required since you will store more then you actually need.
If one user is downloading an ancient or special update you don't need it stored unless you can predict it will be used\downloaded a lot.

Let me know if you need some help with it.

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator