[squid-users] Skype, SSL bump and go.trouter.io

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Wed Jul 6 14:47:15 UTC 2016

I've been finding some problems with Skype when combined with TProxy and
HTTPS interception and wondered if anyone had seen this before:

Skype works so long as HTTPS interception is not performed and traffic
to TCP and UDP ports 1024-65535 is allowed directly out to the internet.
  Enabling SSL-bump seems to break things - When making a call, Skype
makes an SSL connection to go.trouter.io, which Squid successfully
bumps.  Skype then makes a GET request to
https://go.trouter.io/v3/c?auth=true&timeout=55 over the SSL connection,
but the HTTPS server responds with a "400 Bad Request" error and Skype
fails to work.

The Skype client clearly isn't rejecting the intercepted connection
since it is making HTTPS requests over it, but I can't see why the
server would be returning an error.  Obviously I can't see what's going
on inside the connection when it isn't being bumped, but it does work
then.  The only thing I can think is maybe the server is examining the
SSL handshake and returning an error because it knows it isn't talking
directly to the Skype client - but that seems like an odd way of doing
things, rather than rejecting the SSL handshake in the first place.

--
  - Steve Hill
    Technical Director

Direct contacts: