[squid-users] how to fix proxy squid on virtualmin (ubuntu 16, 04)?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jul 4 13:33:55 UTC 2016

On 4/07/2016 7:34 p.m., Antony Stone wrote:
> On Monday 04 July 2016 at 07:50:23, james82 wrote:
>
>> please see it picture: http://imgur.com/a/TU5w6 . Can you tell me what
>> problem is here now?
>
> The problem looks like something virtualmin has done.
>
>> And your own help, is your turn now. how i gonna fix this?
>
> Try asking on a virtualmin support forum, or if you want us to be able to
> help, don't use virtualmin, because it is clearly doing something bad.

Ubuntu squid package is helpfully installing the documentation file
instead of squid.conf default file.

It doesn't help that james is not reading the text.

james82:
  the real default squid.conf for 3.5 is very short, like this:
 <http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringSquid#Squid-3.5_default_config>

Regarding the image you posted:

1) Notice how every line there starts with a "#" character. That means
the line is documentation.

2) Notice how the line above the ones you circled ends with the words
"For Example:". You actually drew your line through those words. They
mean it is an example of something, NOT a cut-n-paste config.

3) More importantly notice how the line after them starts with "Default:
store_dir_select_algorithm". That means the documentation which you are
looking at is for the store_dir_select_algorithm directive.

4) If you actually *read* the text you are making an image of you will
see that the example is documenting how the store_dir_select_algorithm
needs to be ordered in relation to the cache_dir directives.

5) Even more importantly notice how the default squid.conf in the link I
provided, does not contain either of those directives. That is because
they are advanced configuration. You have to understand what you are
doing, and how to configure Squid properly before you go near them.
  This list and us here are to help you *understand* what you are doing.
We are not here to do your homework for you.

As Anthony suggested, if you are going to be using virtualmin or webmin
to do the configuration please go to their forums for details on how to
use those tools first. I know for a fact that manually touching the
squid.conf file is not something you do when using those tools.

Once you understand how to use your chosen tools for changing the
configuration. We can perhapse followup by assisting to teach you what
specific directives do or mean. The virtualmin/webmain people may be
able to as well if your need is a common situation.

BUT, to help you we need to know what you are doing. Which is why
Anthony has so many questions. The image you keep posting does not say
anything about what you are hoping to achieve.