[squid-users] how to fix proxy squid on virtualmin (ubuntu 16, 04)?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sun Jul 3 15:05:10 UTC 2016

On Sunday 03 July 2016 at 16:13:06, james82 wrote:

> can you edit the squid.conf file and paste for me in ghostbin? :) Because
> talk by word i still can't get it right.

No, I can't, because I do not know what the correct configuration is for:

a) *your* machine

b) *your* network

c) what *you* want to do with squid

I would recommend starting from the default squid.conf (in other words, remove
the squid package from your machine, delete the squid.conf, then re-install
the package, which should bring in a standard default configuration file, whoch
does not have errors in it), and then manage the system using webmin (which I
have almost no experience of, but I believe should be able to adjust your
squid.conf for you if you don't want to do it yourself with a text editor).

As a starting guide, the *only* thing you normally need to change from a
default squid.conf to get a working system is the section labelled:

# INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS

If you do not know what to put in there, tell us about your network and we can
help you with some suggestions.

When I say "tell us about your network" I mean let us know:

1. The IP address and netmask of your squid server

2. The IP address range containing the client machines which you want to be
able to use the squid server

3. The default gateway address used by the squid server

Antony.

--
"Life is just a lot better if you feel you're having 10 [small] wins a day
rather than a [big] win every 10 years or so."

 - Chris Hadfield, former skiing (and ski racing) instructor

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.