[squid-users] forwarded_for problems log client ip apache 2.4

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Jan 28 16:15:50 UTC 2016

On 29/01/2016 2:38 a.m., L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> Hai,
>

> I having some troubles to get my client ip (and/or hostname) logged in my apache webserver.
>
> I do think this is something in my squid setup, but i can find it..
>
> So if anyone can help me out a bit, would be great.
>

> I’ve tested with the forwarded_for options tried all options here.
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/cfgman/forwarded_for.html

"forwarded_for on" is the correct one - and the default value BTW, so
you dont need to configure anything for Squid to do its part of this.

I can see that being used in your squid.conf. So the problem is either
that the requests you see really do have *no* client, or a different
client to what you are thinking, or a problem in Apache.

> im using Debian Jessie, Apache 2.4 with mod_remoteip
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_remoteip.html#remoteipheader
>

> My settings for remoteip   ( and yes the modules is enabled )
>
> a2query -m | grep remote
>
> remoteip (enabled by site administrator)
>

> <IfModule mod_remoteip>
>
>     # for remote proxy setup
>
>     RemoteIPHeader X-Forwarded-For
>
>     # for cluster setup
>
>     #RemoteIPHeader X-Real-IP
>

>     RemoteIPTrustedProxy 127.0.0.1/8
>
>     RemoteIPTrustedProxy 192.168.x.x/24
>
>     RemoteIPTrustedProxy 192.168.x.x/24
>
>     RemoteIPTrustedProxy prxy1.internal.domain.tld
>
>     RemoteIPTrustedProxy prxy2.internal.domain.tld
>

> #original : LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
>
> LogFormat "%a %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
>

> </IfModule>
>

> any tips on howto debug this, i did find lots of things with google, but none worked for me.

That is an issue to take up with the Apache support groups. If you are
lucky someone here might know, but its really off-topic.