[squid-users] Squid reverse proxy cache_peer failover

Veiko Kukk vkukk at xvidservices.com
Tue Jan 19 12:05:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

I did read documentation and googled for that, but did not find anything
really useful.

I'm using Squid 3.5.13 and trying to achieve that with multiple
cache_peer parents, only one is used if it is available. Only when it's
not available, secondary is used. Something like this in configuration:

cache_peer foobar name=cache1
cache_peer barfoo name=cache2

if cache1 accessible, use it, else use cache2.

I did not find any 'backup' or 'priority' option for cache_peer
configuration. For example, haproxy allows configuring some backend
servers with keyword 'backup' and those servers are accessed only when
main server(s) are down.

How would that be possible with squid?
Note that I'm not interested in load balancing, only high
availability/failover.

Best regards,
Veiko