[squid-users] receive only (asymatric routing)

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Mon Jan 18 10:41:05 UTC 2016

On Monday 18 January 2016 at 11:32:02, behrad eslami wrote:

> User traffic diagram is like this:
>
>          _____receive____ squid <-----router1--         |
>                                                 |     <---> internetuser
>  -------send----> router2------------------------

So, the user sends packets via router2, and these do not go through Squid?

Packets from the remote webserver coming back to the user do pass through
Squid, which then has no idea what to do with them, because it never saw the
requests.

No, this will not work.

In fact, I don't even see how you can get the replies to come back "through
Squid", because those reply packets will have the destination address of the
client, therefore that's where router1 will send them.

What are you trying to achieve with such a setup?

If, instead of the client machine sending requests directly to the webserver
via router2, it sent them to Squid, it then doesn't matter to Squid whether
they get to the remote webserver via router1 or router2, and it doesn't care
whether the replies come back via router1 or router2 (provided these are both
just plain routers and are not doing NAT).

However, you can not expect Squid to do anything useful if it sees replies but
no requests.

--
You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.