[squid-users] MS Update

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jan 11 16:07:21 UTC 2016

On 11/01/2016 11:18 p.m., Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 11 January 2016 at 18:54, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>>> guessing I have to bump up the 200M max to 800mb.
>>
>> Maybe. But IMHO use the ACLs tat range_offset_limit can take.
>
> your suggesting to limit the offset limit to just the windows update sites

Just the site(s), or may even just the URLs where service packs are put.
The /svcpk/ part of the URL looks interesting in that way, though you
would need to research.

>>> are the other values still okay ?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> so if I bump it up to 800Mb it will start to work okay again ?

"work okay" is a matter of perspective and bandwidth. It will enable the
larger items to cache and HIT. But you will still spend more bandwidth
than than you miht like.

> so using http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate which i
> used to get the rules
> the special way to make this work is
>
> turn off all the client pc. then do a single download of the file -
> this will place all of it in the cache
>
> then I can turn the other clients back on ..

Yes.

But, "turn off" could be ACLs in Squid that reject the download from
everyone but you rather than going around every client machine manually
twice.