[squid-users] Intercepting BITS_POST

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Jan 10 12:36:56 UTC 2016

On 10/01/2016 8:27 p.m., Saravanan Coimbatore wrote:
> Hi Amos,
>
> MSFT uses a handshake mechanism to sync files between enterprise and
> Cloud. We use squid with icap plugins to analyze data.
>
> The handshake is BITS_POST which is based on HTTP 1.1. When we
> enabled the icap plugin, the request was not going through. We were
> getting OTHER_METHOD response.

Aha, thanks.

> We debugged this and fixed it where we
> added BITS_POST as a valid method/verb in Squid. We will be
> submitting this change for review to squid team.

That is not a change likely to get accepted, because BITS_POST is not a
standard method. It is both proprietary and custom extension method.

What we will be looking for is a fix that solves it for all other such
methods as well. The Squid parser needs to be correctly handling the
method as an OTHER_METHOD object with a custom string as the actual
on-wire representation (not "OTHER_METHOD").