[squid-users] Question about delay pools again

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Mon Jan 4 23:57:22 UTC 2016

Hi

Just wanted to confirm my understanding of delay pools and the ability
to ratelimit inbound traffic.

Today one of our W10 machines did it windows update .. New patch ..
.MS SQL SP3 - 384M big patch

So it contacts our squid proxy with then downloaded it from WSUS
update ... which is geocached with out local ISP.

This then flooded our 100Mb wan port.

My understanding is that delay pools will not help me with rate
limiting that to a cap of say 10Mb/s

The only thing that Squid or Linux can do is delay ACK's and thus rate
limit that way.

Delay pools are more for SQUID -> End user ...

Thanks
Alex