[squid-users] Compile install Squid, configure default options.

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jan 4 11:17:15 UTC 2016

On 4/01/2016 10:22 p.m., 郑伟 wrote:

> Hi, I have tried to compile and install Squid 3.5.12 in a fresh
> CentOS 7 VPS host, because I doesn't understood so many configure,
> so I just with minimum configure  I understood, I need openssl
> to open a https port, and I need basic_auth to support user/password
> authentication, so I just with following config:
>
> ./configure --build=x86_64-linux-gnu \
>     --prefix=/usr \
>     --exec-prefix=/usr \
>     '--bindir=${prefix}/bin' \
>     '--sbindir=${prefix}/sbin' \
>     '--libdir=${prefix}/lib64' \
>     '--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib64/squid' \
>     '--includedir=${prefix}/include' \
>     '--datadir=${prefix}/share/squid' \
>     '--mandir=${prefix}/share/man' \
>     '--infodir=${prefix}/share/info' \
>     --localstatedir=/var \
>     '--with-logdir=${localstatedir}/log/squid' \
>     '--with-pidfile=${localstatedir}/run/squid.pid' \
>     '--with-swapdir=${localstatedir}/spool/squid' \
>     --sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
>     --with-openssl \
>     --enable-epoll \
>     --enable-auth \
>     --enable-auth-basic
>
> it worked!

<snip>

> I want to use newest version Squid, but i think I perhaps missing
> something important option maybe, which can cause risk in some case?
>
> Could any please help me for a `standard necessary' configure arguments
> for current 3.5 serious?

The standard necessary is just:
 ./configure

Everything else is optional additions to make the install fit into your
specific OS or provide extra fuctionality.

The options you are using should be fine.

Though you do not need to add the auth ones since auth is all enabled by
default. And it would make things a little easier if you used these ones
from the official package though:
  --with-default-user=squid
  --with-filedescriptors=16384

> Or, just tell me, this worked, it is fine, and I will very happy to use.
>
> btw: When I first install, ./configure is passed, but make is failed.
> because I am not install gcc-c++. I have to install gcc-c++, reconfigure
> again, make is passed. I thought if ./configure could detect gcc-c++
> is not installed, will more good.

What C++ compiler did you have installed instead of gcc-c++ ?