[squid-users] Survey on assertions: When the impossible happens

Eray Aslan eraya at a21an.org
Mon Feb 29 10:44:48 UTC 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 10:56:53AM -0700, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> There is an ongoing discussion about the best approach to handling
> impossible situations among active Squid developers. Constructive
> feedback from a Squid admin point of view is welcomed!

There is no obvious right answer.  I usually find immediate and visible
failure to be the best option in the long run.  But it is a judgement
call really.

> Q0: Do you think an admin should be able to control the choice among the
> three options detailed above?

Not really, no.  But if you think it is not an undue burden for
developers, why not?

> Q1: Which option is the best default?

Option 1 - bail out.

> Q2: Would you prefer to see fewer assertions in exchange for more memory
> leaks and an increased probability of malformed/corrupted/misleading
> HTTP messages?

Nope.  I'd be worried that it would result in more fragile and harder to
debug systems.  I shouldn't have to babysit my servers.

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 10:27:56AM +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> People like yourself jumping to quick solutions, or baseing them on
> outdated/wrong ideas without thinking the consequences over is why the
> topic of letting admin have any control at all is controversial in the
> first place.

While there are all kinds of people with various knowledge levels
administring proxy servers, second guessing the sysadmin is a dangerous
action.  I generally assume a professional sysadmin who knows what he is
doing - even though perhaps they are a dying breed.

--
Eray