[squid-users] Is jesred still compatible with squid 4.x?

Karl-Philipp Richter richter at richtercloud.de
Mon Feb 29 00:34:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

Am 29.02.2016 um 01:13 schrieb Eliezer Croitoru:

> I do not remember if I have tried to work with such a setup in the past
> but, can you give some technical details on the desired setup?
I want to manipulate URLs for Ubuntu and Debian .deb packages download
requests (usually for fixed (ftp.debian.org) or predictable URLs
([country].ubuntu.archive.com) which are passed to squid used as
intercepting HTTP cache to be served by an `apt-cacher-ng` instance.
Configuration for clients and VMs running on clients should be zero.

> Are there any written documentations about such a setup already? if so can you redirect me to one of these?
Depends on your german skills:
https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/squid-transparent-und-apt-cacher-ng/

> Basically the jesred program as far as I remembered it was not developed for a very long time but I have found the next sources:
> https://github.com/sawcache/jesred/blob/master/main.c#L166
>
> Which indicates that someone did something with it to somehow work with Squid 3.5+ including 4.X.
> If I would have known more about the setup I would probably be able to answer the question.
This still seems quite fragile, e.g. there's no automatic installation
routine (which I suggested as autconf setup in pull request
https://github.com/sawcache/jesred/pull/2). I'd like this fixed or
solved somehow to get some activity in the project as well. Otherwise
I'm not too eager to contribute since my script at
https://github.com/krichter722/apt-cacher-ng-rewriter works for now, but
isn't overly complicated and not configurable.

> Also what changes in 4.X communications are you talking about?
> The changes I know about are from 3.4-3.5
I was referring to probable communication changes which "might" have
been implemented - I've already made bad experience with (and filed bugs
about) outdated `squid` documentation, so I prefer to ask.

It might just be the case that `apt-cacher-ng` doesn't accept the output
of `jesred` (failure described above), but I'm wondering what could
there be wrong given the fact that my script works and this
communication protocol is no rocket science. That was the original
reason for my question/request for feedback.

-Kalle