[squid-users] rev 3.5.15

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sat Feb 27 00:57:21 UTC 2016

On 02/26/2016 04:07 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 27/02/2016 11:14 a.m., joe wrote:
>> i  ask you coder to add extra safe control for that to stop squid with error

> You mean like this message on startup (and -k parse):
>
>  ERROR: This proxy does not support the 'diskd' cache type. Ignoring.
>

> Squid does not require a disk cache to operate successfully. We get
> lots, and lots of complaints when it halts for any non-FATAL reason.

And we get lots of complaints and wasted time when it does _not_ halt on
misconfiguration errors.

We cannot define what "successful operation of a misconfigured Squid" is
-- only the admins can do that. However, we do define which errors are
fatal. Our collective decision was to bypass errors like misconfigured
cache directories, despite objections (including mine). There is
currently no good way to justify that decision or the opposite one -- it
is just a shouting/voting contest. And so it continues...