[squid-users] Writing a squid plugin

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Feb 26 16:43:13 UTC 2016

On 02/26/2016 04:52 AM, Avraham Serour wrote:

> does squid has some API for plugins?

Squid has many such APIs (e.g., URL rewrite helper, Store ID helper,
eCAP, and ICAP). None of the existing APIs currently support prefetch.
However, for prefetch, you can use the regular HTTP API -- just request
from Squid what you want to prefetch using HTTP.

There has been a persistent trickle of interest to add prefetching
support to eCAP. If you want to develop a standard API for prefetch,
enhancing eCAP is probably your best bet: http://www.e-cap.org/

> would I need to recompile squid by myself?

If you are using one of the existing APIs, then usually not.

If you want to write custom Squid code, then yes. BTW, our "fetch
missing certificates" branch contains the new Downloader class that
would be very useful for prefetching code:

  https://code.launchpad.net/~measurement-factory/squid/fetch-cert

That code is almost ready (and has already been previewed on squid-dev),
but we are too busy fixing bugs to finalize it right now.

HTH,