[squid-users] Youtube "challenges"

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Thu Feb 25 14:33:31 UTC 2016

On 25/02/16 02:33, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> I have not reviewed every product but I have tried couple and these I
> have tested do not have a really good system that filters YouTube videos
> the way I would have imagined.
> I have not tested your product... and I was wondering if the next URL
> will be filtered by you software in some way?
>
> https://www.youtubeeducation.com/embed/KdS6HFQ_LUc

That URL tells me "This video is unavailable with the Education Filter
enabled.  To view this video, the site network administrator will need
to add it to a playlist".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that Google's old YouTube for
Education system which they no longer support?

> I have seen couple pretty really amazing filtering ideas but each has
> it's own limits. For example it is possible to analyze every in-transit
> image and video+audio and categorize them which actually is a great
> solution for many but the Achilles heel is there always.
> Some filters has higher false positive rates while others has less but
> leaves the user in abyss after reading a weird faked ransom malware JS
> page.

Our filters have both a URI categorisation database, and a content
analysis engine.  The content analysis engine does text analysis though,
not video analysis.  You can still get some useful categorisation out of
the descriptions on YouTube videos though.

Google Apps integrates with YouTube restricted mode to allow school
staff to whitelist videos that would otherwise be disallowed, so a lot
of schools use that.  That's Google's replacement for YouTube for
Education, which they officially stopped supporting last year, but in
reality it has been dead for a couple of years.

In this case, my understanding was that Darren wanted to blacklist
YouTube, but still allow the embedded youtube videos to play on his
local page.  With one of our filters that would be easy - it requires no
content analysis since he wants to block the whole of YouTube.  He'd
then just create an override for the local web page telling the system
to allow the videos that are embedded in that page.

--
  - Steve Hill
    Technical Director

Direct contacts: