[squid-users] Android OS / Updates

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Wed Feb 24 21:29:08 UTC 2016

On 24/02/2016 08:34, John Pearson wrote:
> Thanks! I meant if Squid can cache Android installs? I am deploying 10+
> new Android devices and wanted to cache the OS

Hey Jhon,

This subject is not so simple and requires some kind of investigation of
both the Android and the Web side of the picture.
If indeed all Android devices updates are being done using HTTP or HTTPS
you might have some chance of doing something with it but I have really
high doubts about it.

You cannot actually cache the OS... these are coming from firmwares and
some of the have propitiatory parts which might encourage these Android
devices manufactures to guard from tampering and caching.

Depends on your 10+ Android devices you will probably have better luck
contacting the devices manufacturer or reseller to find the best way to
apply updates with minimum Internet bandwidth\usage.

Some of the Android resellers are pretty sane to understand that in the
case of high Internet bandwidth\usage costs such as satellite or other
wan connections, and give\provide(maybe with some price) the option to
update these devices "offline" and leaving the devices use online
updates for minor updates.

Eliezer