[squid-users] whatsapp image download fails

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sun Feb 21 19:33:02 UTC 2016

On Sunday 21 February 2016 at 20:10:59, turgut kalfaoğlu wrote:

> Thank you for your reply; there is nothing about SSL neither in iptables
> nor in squid settings now.
> It only intercepts port 80 requests..

So, does this mean that all browsers and similar clients are unable to access
any HTTPS resource (since they don't have an explicitly-configured proxy, and
there's no configuration to support SSL intercept)?

Or do you have some other mechanism (eg: simple Masquerading NAT) to allow
clients to access the Internet for non-HTTP traffic?

Blocking HTTPS would prevent you being able to access a large proportion of
today's Internet.

> There is nothing visible in squid's access.log nor the firewall logs of
> the server when I click on an image to download in Whatsapp.

What are you logging on the firewall?

I'm not familar with Whatsapp myself (I've heard of it, yes, but I don't use
it).

Is it possible to find out what URL it wants to access when you click on an
image?

Alternatively, can you use a packet sniffer like wireshark on a router in the
path between the client and the Internet, to see what it is trying to do?

I would also suggest trying to access some other HTTP and HTTPS resources, to
see whether there's anything specific to Whatsapp, or whether all HTTPS is
blocked, or whether it's some other problem.

Antony.

--
This sentence contains exacly three erors.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.