[squid-users] howto log outbound bytes properly?

Jason Haar Jason_Haar at trimble.com
Sun Feb 14 23:05:53 UTC 2016

Hi there

Given the major usage of Cloud file sharing and things like HD video
sharing (eg Skype), the amount of outbound bandwidth used by "browsers"
can be comparable with inbound - and yet by default squid does not
record this in the logging

So I added "%>st" to logformat and sure enough, uploading a file via PUT
over http now records the outbound bytes. However - doing the same file
over https gave a tiny size - I'd guess it's only the HTTP headers
cadaver was using as it did it's CONNECT call

So is that a bug, or is there some other variable for catching outbound
bytes for CONNECT?

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171