[squid-users] any way to get squid-4 compiled on CentOS-6?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Feb 12 09:42:08 UTC 2016

On 12/02/2016 9:59 p.m., Jason Haar wrote:
> Hi there
>
> Given the real work on ssl-bump seems to be in squid-4, I thought to try
> it out. Unfortunately, we're using CentOS-6 and the compilers are too
> old? (gcc-c++-4.4.7/clang-3.4.2)

Yes.

> CentOS-7 should be fine - but replacing an entire system just to have a
> play is a bit too much to ask, so has anyone figured out how to get
> squid-4 working on such older systems?

Doing a full system install is just the easy way for some (by no means
everyone). If you can get the newer compiler installed in parallel then
it should be possible to build Squid-4 with the new compiler.
 Although what I know of RPM systems that parallel install can be far
from an easy proposition.

You may want a VM if its just for play. It wont run as fast as it would
on bare metal, but well enough for testing.