[squid-users] HTTP Keepalive (re bug 4426)

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Feb 4 08:43:48 UTC 2016

[pPS. please dont reply to existing discussions with unrelated new
topics. It really screws up the web forum and threaded views of the
mailing list. Start a new thread. ]

On 4/02/2016 7:09 p.m., Anders Gustafsson wrote:
> "The only solution to this limitation vs the browser behaviour is to
> ensure that connection persistence (HTTP keep-alive) is enabled and
> working in both Squid and its clients. All current Squid are HTTP/1.1
> software where this persistence is enabled by default."
>
> Taking this discussion off Bugzilla as it is not directly related to
> the issue.
>
> So, if I read your comment above correctly, then my squid 3.5
> installation should have http persistence enabled by default and so
> should all recent versions of Firefox? If so, why do I see Firefox
> creating literally hundreds of connections?

"literally hundreds" should not be happening. A few dozen up close to
100 is normal.

It is entirely possible though if you are intercepting the clients
traffic, have a browser doing "Happy Eyeballs", lots of plugins and/or
tabs being started, and loading detailed pages like Facebook or CNN.
 The connection numbers involved there can multiply up to big values.

> Is there any way to check what is going on?

debug_options 11,2 in squid.conf will log the HTTP messages flows as
they arrive. That might give hints. Check for Connection:keep-alive vs
Connection:close on the mesages between Squid and the browser/client.