[squid-users] squid 4.0.17 accept-encoding.. sending gzip?!

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Dec 29 06:02:56 UTC 2016

On 2016-12-28 06:31, Heiler Bemerguy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> refresh_pattern -i
> \.(jp[eg]{1,2}|pdf|gif|pn[pg]|bmp|tiff|ico|swf|css|js|ad|png)$ 10080
> 80% 120960 ignore-no-store ignore-reload ignore-must-revalidate
> ignore-private override-expire store-stale
>
> But it shouldn't change the length of the object, the encoding type of
> the object, the "Server" header of the object..... or am I wrong?

You are misunderstanding what is going on. Squid is simply delivering a
cached response.

Either the exact original response, or with some updated headers
supplied *by the server* during revalidation.

The log entry on your earlier post indicates there was _no_ server
contact. So nothing was changed. Period.

That means what came out of cache was the previously cached response
with original headers and formatting.

BTW: you should remove the ignore-must-revalidate. Squid current
releases can only cache private responses IF revalidation is enabled.

>> FROM: Heiler Bemerguy
>>
>> The server doesn't define any "content-encoding". This is the
>> ORIGINAL SERVER reply, tcpdumped:

The squid logs you presented earlier showed that the reply was a HIT,
with *no* server connection made. So you cannot have got a packet
capture when no TCP packets existed.

What you are seeing below could be another transactions response, or the
response to some other request which did not get a gzip encoded
response.